To commemorate the Madras Day Celebrations, Prakriti Foundation, in association with the U.S. Consulate General Chennai, organized a Poetry Slam Contest titled “Chennai That Was Madras.” The competition was held on Tuesday, the 22nd of August, 2017 between 2:00 pm and 6:00 pm at Loyola College (Bertram Hall), Chennai.
Poetry Slam is a competitive art of performance poetry. Participants were encouraged to write original poems on the stated theme, and present them to the audience in a performance style without the help of any supporting material. The poems had to be recited either in English or Tamil. The recitation could be for maximum two minutes. Each participant was allowed to recite only one poem. Eminent jury members were present to judge the participants. There were two age categories; 16-21 years and 22 – 26 years, in each language.
The judges for English were – Eric Lund, Ishvar Krishnan, Vasanth Kumar for English , while for Tamil we had Salma and Kavita Muralidharan.
- Age Group 16-21 (English)
- Winner: Madhumitha. B (Student, M.O.P. Vaishnav College, Nungambakkam)
- Runner-up: Yagna (Student, M.O.P. Vaishnav College, Nungambakkam)
- Age 16-21 (Tamil)
- Winner: Sivapragasam (Open Category)
- Runner-up: Arungokul.B (Student, Loyola College)
- Runner-up: T.S. Banu Priya (Student, Ethiraj College)
- Age 22-26 (English)
- Winner: Adithya Mohan (Open Category)
- Runner-up: Harinivasini. G (Student, SDNB Vaishnava College)
- Age 22-26 (Tamil)
- Winner: Rajesh Pachaiyappa (Open Category)
- Runner-up: M.S. Preethi (Student, Ethiraj College)
- The New Indian Express, 22 August 2017 – Madras Day: A poetic birthday gift to a city that is 378 years old
*Click side ways to see next image
Comments are closed.